It’s getting proper chilly down here in the southern hemisphere, so we need some good hearty food to keep us warm. And what’s better than a beef and beer stew, and a good classic pudding?
- 100g/4 ounces of bacon, diced
- 1kg/2 lbs of stewing beef, roughly cut
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 500ml/1 pint of stout beer
- 1 cup of beef stock
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Herbs, salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Stove top/hob
- Mix the beef through the flour and cook in a saucepan until brown, then remove it from the pan and set aside
- Fry the bacon until brown and crispy, and then add in the onions and cook through
- Pour in the beer and stock, bring to a boil, scrape the bottom of the pan and simmer for a few minutes
- Add in all the vegetables, tomato paste, Worchershtire sauce, and the beef.
- Cover the saucepan, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Bread and Butter Pudding
- 8 slices of bread
- 50g/2 ounces of softened butter
- 5 tablespoons of your favourite jam
- ⅓ cup of caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 4 eggs
- Baking tin (approx 35cmx20cm/14”x8”)
- Baking/parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a baking tin with baking/parchment paper.
- Spread the butter and jam on the bread and make some jam sandwiches
- Cut each sandwich into triangles and arrange them in the baking dish
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, cream, milk and eggs together and pour over the sandwiches
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
If you like these recipes, have a go at making them, and let us know how it turns out!
If you’ve missed any of the previous recipes, find them HERE.
And get your hands on our newest game, Enforcer, launched just this week, by clicking on the banner below.